Email marketing for bloggers. Yep, we need to talk about it because it’s so important, and yet so many bloggers are either not doing it or are doing it the wrong way.
Look, if you’re a blogger - and we’re pretty sure you are since you landed on this page - you already know the power of content. But, we’d be willing to bet you’re not maximizing the power of your email list.
Here’s the thing - if you’re not using a mailing list to market your blog, you’re potentially leaving hundreds if not thousands of dollars on the table.
We want to get more dollars in your pocket. That’s why below we’re getting into the nitty gritty of blog email marketing, and pretty much everything you need to know about it. Our goal is that by the end of this post we’ve inspired you to start a mailing list. And, if you already have one, we hope we can give you a few new tools in your proverbial email marketing toolkit.
If this sounds good to you, keep scrolling.
Table of Contents
Grow Your Audience with Email Subscribers
Building an email subscriber list should be a top priority for any blogger. If you haven’t at least started an email list, you need to move it to the first spot on your to-do list. Seriously, it’s that important. Yes, of course complete any sponsored posts you’ve got in the queue first, but then get back to your email list!
Email subscribers provide a direct line of communication to your target audience. This allows you to promote new content, products, or services right to the inboxes of engaged readers.
Unlike social media platforms where algorithm changes can impact reach, email puts you in control of your subscriber connections. Your blog content and emails will never get lost in their feed or notifications.
Put another way, your emails are an intimate setting with just you and your subscribers and while they are reading your email - you’re not competing with eleventy billion other things on the page.
So how can you encourage blog visitors to join your subscriber list? Here are some effective strategies:
- Place an eye-catching subscribe form front-and-center on your blog. Make it easy for readers to enter their email and hit submit.
- Offer a compelling freebie like a checklist, resource list, or guide in exchange for an email address. This provides immediate value. No one really wants to give up their email list without getting something in return. Make sure whatever you’re offering can’t be downloaded or consumed anywhere else on your blog either. You need to build some exclusivity into this if you want someone to actually pony up their contact information.
- Prominently display calls-to-action to subscribe throughout blog posts. Remind readers of the option.
- Use popup or slide-in forms to catch attention. Don’t get spammy with this or you’ll just annoy people, and no one wants that!
Speaking of which - make sure your “X” or “Close” button is prominently displayed so people that don’t want to sign up (or that have already signed up) can quickly close your pop up. Bonus points if you add coding to your pop up that ensures it won’t “pop up” for people that have already opted in.
- Add social proof with stats on your subscribers and testimonials on the value they gain.
- Send new subscriber welcome emails to show your appreciation and share more content.
With continual optimization of your subscribe options and calls-to-action, you can steadily grow an engaged audience eager to hear from you. Don't miss out on the benefits of direct email connections with your blog readers.
Keep Readers Engaged with Content Newsletters
One of the best ways to utilize your email list is by sending regular content newsletters. These emails allow you to consistently provide value to subscribers with your latest blog content.
Rather than hoping readers will randomly return to your blog, you can bring the content directly to their inbox. A quality newsletter keeps you front of mind while showcasing your expertise.
Readers who engage with your content newsletters will develop a stronger connection to you and your blog. They’ll be more likely to share posts, comment, and come back for more.
So what makes for an effective and compelling content newsletter? Below are some tips that might help.
- Curate and summarize 3-5 of your best recent posts rather than just sharing links.
- Pull out engaging stats, quotes, or examples from each post to entice clicks.
- Use eye-catching headlines and subject lines that create curiosity about your content.
- Incorporate images, GIFs, or videos to break up text and add visual intrigue. (again, don’t overdo it with this idea. You don’t ever want to annoy your audience to the point of them clicking that dreaded “unsubscribe,” or worse the spam button!
- Share the value and knowledge readers will gain by checking out your featured posts.
- Close with a friendly sign-off and invitation to engage further.
A regular content newsletter allows you to put your best content directly in front of those most interested. Dedicate the time to crafting emails your subscribers look forward to opening and reading.
Promote Your Offerings with Persuasive Emails
While content newsletters focus on driving blog traffic, promotional emails enable you to convert readers into buyers or customers.
If you offer products, online courses, freelance services, or recommended affiliate programs, email is a perfect medium for promotion. You can target subscribers who have already shown an interest.
Some effective strategies for persuasive promotional emails include:
- Clearly summarize the offering or program you want readers to purchase.
- Communicate the tangible benefits and transformation they will experience.
- Use testimonials from satisfied customers to provide social proof.
- Offer time-limited bonuses or discounts to create urgency.
- Make it risk-free with guarantees, warranties, or free trials.
- Use bold calls-to-action to click and purchase now.
- Follow up with those who don't purchase right away by addressing concerns.
- Deliver valuable content related to the offering rather than constant pitches.
With compelling subject lines, strategic timing, and genuine value, your promotional emails can drive sales while maintaining subscriber trust. Find the right balance for your business.
Increase Relevance with Personalized, Segmented Emails
Personalization and segmentation are powerful techniques used in email marketing for bloggers. When you tailor your messages and divide your list, you can send more relevant content to each subscriber.
Personalized emails that include the recipient's first name or location have higher open and click-through rates. Readers feel like you're speaking directly to them rather than sending mass messages.
You can also segment your list based on interests, engagement, location, or other factors. For example, you could send certain content or recommendations only to subscribers who have shown interest in that topic.
It may also be beneficial to provide special offers or bonuses to highly engaged subscribers more likely to convert.
Tailor messages with local details when segmenting by location or language. You can send re-engagement emails to inactive subscribers who haven't opened in a while as well.
Finally, create VIP segments for your most loyal readers and provide exclusive content. This could mean giving them a freebie that no one else has access to, deeper discounts for affiliate offers, invites to private events and more.
Take the time to incorporate personal details and divide your lists into meaningful segments. The extra relevance keeps your emails out of the spam folder and typically performs well to boot.
Refine Your Strategy with Email Analytics
To maximize the impact of your email marketing, you need to closely track performance and continually optimize your campaigns. Email analytics provide crucial data to inform your strategy.
Monitor key metrics like open rate, click-through rate, conversion rate, and unsubscribe rate for each campaign. When you’re looking at your stats, you can determine things like:
- Which subject lines, headlines and calls-to-action perform best
- Which content types and newsletter formats get engagement
- When your list is most active and responsive, and
- Which segments have the highest interaction with your emails.
Look for trends over time to identify opportunities to improve. Test different approaches like send times, email copy, visual design, and content topics to see what resonates.
Email analytics help you refine and tailor your blogger email marketing strategy for optimal results. Dedicate time to reviewing the data and finding ways to increase subscriber satisfaction.
Bring It All Together for Better Blog Email Marketing
We hope we’ve expressed the importance of creating a strategy for email marketing for bloggers. We believe email is one of the best tools you can use to connect with your readers.
Here’s a quick recap of what we covered:
- Build your subscriber list by offering plenty of options for readers to join.
- Send consistent content newsletters that get your best blog posts noticed.
- Promote products, services, and offerings through targeted promotional emails.
- Increase relevance with personalized messages and segmented lists.
- Use email analytics to track performance and optimize your approach.
When combined purposefully, these strategies will take your blogger email marketing to the next level. You'll be able to increase engagement, promote your brand, and build stronger reader relationships.
Don't leave this powerful channel untapped. Start putting these email tips into practice and watch your audience grow. Feel free to refer back to this article for guidance as you develop your own email marketing plan tailored to your blogging niche and goals.