Read more posts by this author.
Use segmentation to send targeted broadcasts or automate communication.
This guide will help you to understand segmentation and how to use it effectively for better targeting of your emails
- Segment Use-Cases
On SendX platform lists are a collection of contacts whereas tags are used to segregate contacts based on activity, event or other such attributes. Both lists and tags can be used to target a particular set of users at a higher granularity.
However when you need to send a campaign based on a condition or group of conditions they fail. This is where segments kick in. They can be used to get a group of contacts which comply to a group of conditions eg:
Get me all contacts which are registered (list), have created a profile ( tag ) and have shared on Facebook ( tag ) and have been sent Winter Clothing and Summer Showdown campaigns.
Now the above group of conditions can be broken down to:
- Users who are a part of Registered Users list * Have tags createdprofile and sharedon_fb * Have been sent Winter clothing and Summer Showndown campaigns
Segments are primarily useful in the following ways:
- Send a targeted broadcast email campaign to a set of contacts
- See in-depth analytics for a certain behaviour ex - see all contacts (subscribers) who match the following criteria:
Present in a List AND Have not clicked any link in a campaign AND Have not replied to the campaign.
- Perform a bulk operation on a group of contacts eg: Tag contacts as active who have opened atleast 2 campaigns in last 1 month or Delete all contacts who have not opened any of the last 5 campaigns
- Trigger an Action for a contact (subscriber) when he got Added to a Segment. You would simply have to create an Automation rule for this.
- Exclude contacts (subscribers) present in a Segment from certain Drip Steps.