MailChimp isn’t really meeting your needs eh?
Chances are, you’re looking for something with better legal policies, pricing and support.
Yep, we’ve traveled that road as well.
So here, we share our in-depth feedback and comments on using the top alternatives to MailChimp:
- Campaign Monitor
- Constant Contact
Our team went deep into MailChimp, and realised that in a lot of cases, it isn’t the right fit for a lot of businesses. Their support can be really bad, and their pricing can be a worrisome venture as your email list size grows.
To begin with, they charge based on list size and not contacts. Which means that if one contact is there in there in two of your lists, you'll be paying for two contacts. Moreover, after you hit a list size of 52000, you no longer get to send Unlimited Emails. This is a major bummer for a lot of users!
Another thing to know is that MailChimp has shifted their focus and are no longer focusing on Email Marketing only.
Businesses looking for affordable, focused and excellent support can be left leaving much more to desire from MailChimp. And that’s precisely why we created SendX.
SendX is an Email Marketing Software we’ve built to try to solve a core (and often the hardest) problem for small businesses. To understand our market and its needs better, we’ve actually spent a substantial amount of time digging and analysing each and every feature of the MailChimp competitors.
Why only 7? Doesn’t an app like MailChimp have hundreds of competitors?
Just search “MailChimp Alternatives” on Google and you would find loads of Alternatives and Top 10s that claim to be MailChimp Alternatives but hardly focus on things like Email Marketing.
Most of them are positioned to solve a totally different problem, and even a simple clash of a feature pits them as a “MailChimp Alternative” in Google’s (and a lot of other “Top 10s”) eyes.
Heck, as of right now (Feb 2019), searching MailChimp on alternativeto.net gives me a list of exact 225 alternatives! If you’re looking for numbers, then you might want to check it out. In here, we’re focusing on quality and are checking out the very best MailChimp competitors.
Why do people go with MailChimp?
MailChimp is a tool which focuses on solving 3 problems: Connecting with the audience (email campaigns, forms and ads), automating busy work (welcome series, abandoned cart, birthday messages) and optimizing for the right audiences (segmentation, testing and reports). It lets you handle a large part of your sales funnel.
Here’s a snapshot of all the campaigns MailChimp provides:
Before we get into the alternatives, let’s first take a look into the pros of MailChimp.
- Extremely User-Friendly: MailChimp is one of the simplest ESPs out there right now. And that’s a major plus if you are starting Email Marketing from scratch, because their interface makes it really easy. Their team has constantly been updating the UI since 2001, and made sure that they remain one of the simplest to use with every iteration.
- Forever Free Plan: Another major plus for the beginner Email Marketer. MailChimp has a free plan which can help you get started. It allows upto 2000 contacts and 12000 emails per month. This provides a barrier-free gateway into the Email Marketing world and it’s extremely easy to set up!
- Integrations: When it comes to integrations, MailChimp is the king with over 180 integrations with multiple softwares. Which means that if you’re using some other software tools for your business, chances are they will integrate with MailChimp and work together really well.
However, despite all of these reasons, a lot of users end up being unhappy with the often poor support. This support makes their businesses stuck for days on end which is definitely a major downside since time is one of the most important resources for businesses. Added to that the pricing structure (outlined in the beginning) turns a lot of people off, enough to make them switch.
With that being said, it’s now time to jump into the various MailChimp alternatives. While all of them have similar basic features allowing Email Marketing, there are things which are wildly different inside. Pick one which best suits your needs.
Let’s dive right in.
It’s only fair to our blog to put our very own SendX Email Marketing Software as #1 on this list. A relative newcomer in the space (founded in late 2016), we’ve made sure we made our product an absolute monster of a MailChimp Alternative.
SendX is made with the aim to be the most intuitive, feature-rich and affordable Email Marketing Tool in the industry. Made with the aim of combining technology, marketing, and human connection to create the ultimate vessel for business owners to get to where they want to be in their business in the least amount of time. While we definitely aren’t perfect, we’re constantly working our butts off to make this a reality. Hence, SendX is definitely worth a serious look in 2019.
We are young, and we work 2X harder to win you.
How is SendX different from MailChimp?
- We take our Customer Support EXTREMELY seriously, and ensure that they are provided 24x7 support via email and live chat. No matter which plan they are on and in which country they live in. MailChimp’s support can be a hit or miss a lot of times. If you’re on the Free Plan, Email is the only way you can get your queries solved. And I personally know about support queries taking upto 2 days to get a reply.
- While we have a 14-day Free Trial instead of a Forever Free Plan, SendX is a much more affordable platform as your Email List grows. So you end up paying less for the same number of subscribers, as you would on MailChimp. Additionally, you can send unlimited emails no matter how big your Email List is, while MailChimp will start limiting you as you grow past 50k contacts.
- MailChimp has a LOT of customers (over 18 million). This doesn’t allow them the time and labour to focus on every customer's email deliverability. Hence, they developed an automated system to protect their email reputation. So if something goes wrong and you accidentally get a lot of bounces or spam complaints, MailChimp can shut your account right down without providing any warning. SendX has the Opti-Send Deliverability Booster built right in, to ensure the Emails get delivered with maximum deliverability. Additionally, SendX has free delivery consulting for customers with large email lists who need help organizing it to get maximum engagement.
Feel free to give it a spin and let us know what you think! :D
2. Campaign Monitor
With a focus on design, Campaign Monitor is an Email Marketing tool which enables users to create good looking, engaging and responsive email. It combines that with a set of marketing automation tools to serve their customers at a greater level.
How is Campaign Monitor different than MailChimp?
- Easy-to-use (and beautiful) Email Templates: Campaign Monitor comes with an really well put together Template Collection. It’s extremely responsive and work really well on both mobile and desktop. While MailChimp does feature fairly good templates, they are geared more towards newer Email Marketers.
- Rich personalization options and segmentation capabilities: These guys have an elite visual journey designer and advanced segmentation options which enable you to self hyper specific emails to your subscribers. MailChimp, while does the same, offers a streamlined workflow and basic segmentations. So depending on what you wanna do, you might want to go with either one of them.
- Integrations to support retargeting ads and landing pages: Campaign Monitor integrates with 3rd Party apps in a few clicks to allow you to run Paid Ads and Landing pages. While MailChimp does these things internally within their app.
My experience with Campaign Monitor
Campaign Monitor has one of the best product experiences out of all the MailChimp Alternatives I tried. When you login and set up your account, you are given a set of basic tasks (which are optional) to help us get started and “activate” fast. They’ll hold your hand while creating an email campaign and creating a list to get you accustomed to the software within minutes. Which is pretty awesome, as it would definitely make them more sticky for their user (I know it would’ve worked for me!).
They seem like the right combination of advanced and simple. Their interface is an absolute breeze to go through, but at the same time there are advanced tools lying right in front of your eyes which are relatively easy to access.
But surprisingly there was no landing page creator, which I was definitely expecting from a product at this price point and capabilities. But overall, I definitely enjoyed trying out Campaign Monitor and learned quite a few things to implement in SendX as well!
Here we’ll be giving our rating on all the MailChimp Alternatives based on 3 core factors: Simplicity, Technical Issues and Our Recommendation.
Note that we won’t be rating them based on features since they would be extremely subjective for your type of business and needs. Feel free to check out their websites for in-depth features before trying them out!
Technical Issues: 3.5/5
Our Recommendation: 4/5
Definitely look into Campaign Monitor if:
- You’re looking for a good on-boarding experience to get you started fast.
- You’re fine with no landing page tool.
- You’re looking for beautiful email templates to use.
ActiveCampaign is a powerful Marketing Automation and Sales CRM software founded in 2003 with the principle belief that all businesses need, and deserve, effective solutions to connect with customers. This powerhouse features Advanced Email Marketing, Marketing Automation, Sales CRM, Messaging Capabilities and more. And it does all these things at a very reasonable price.
How is ActiveCampaign different from MailChimp?
We reached out to ActiveCampaign and asked them how they are different from MailChimp. They pointed me to the G2 Crowd Comparison since they didn’t want to give biased feedback. Here are some points the G2 Crowd page highlights:
- Quality of Support: Users claim to have experienced much better support from ActiveCampaign compared to MailChimp. While MailChimp is known to have issues with its support. There were reviews by users of ActiveCampaign who absolutely loved their support!
- Easier to do business with: According to the users, ActiveCampaign is much easier to do business with than MailChimp. This obviously speaks of why their adoption %, and the length of contracts is higher than MailChimp.
- Product Direction: Anybody in business knows the value of long term product direction. ActiveCampaign’s product direction and decisions are believed to be much more positive by its users than MailChimp’s.
My experience with ActiveCampaign
As soon as I logged into ActiveCampaign, it spoke of true power to me. It simply looks “alive” even though I literally just started. While it may look a little crowded to some users, I definitely dug it.
At the price range that they’re at, I was quite surprised by the awesome quality of the Visual Builder. It was pretty fun to play around with, and quite beginner friendly as well! While it’s not a dealbreaker, the simple ‘if this, then that’ automations that a lot of marketers are used to was definitely missed. They would definitely be effective for a lot of users with simple use cases. But you definitely cannot go wrong with what they have to offer at a really reasonable price.
Technical Issues: 4.5/5
Our Recommendation: 4/5
Give a solid try to ActiveCampaign if:
- You’re looking for the best value for money.
- You plan to use advanced marketing automation tools.
- You don’t mind the visual builder getting a little bloated occasionally.
AWeber is one of the most popular and easy-to-use solutions in the Email Marketing space. It has over 700 templates for users to create newsletters. Yep, that means chances are that you’ll never run out of templates for your newsletters. We decided to try it out.
How is AWeber different than MailChimp?
- Access to over 700 templates and 6000 stock images: AWeber has a HUGE library of stock images and templates ready for use. Whatever email you wanna send, AWeber seems to have a suitable stock image right there. While MailChimp does have a fair amount of templates themselves, AWeber is on another level here.
- One of the best deliverability rates in the industry: AWeber is known to have some of the best Email Deliverability in the industry thanks to its age and experience. While MailChimp is not far behind in the same, they have some automated filters to protect their Email Reputation which can be a nuisance sometimes even if your emails are legit.
- One price for all features: While MailChimp starts with a Free Plan, it has majority of features locked and reserved for premium paying users. Whereas in AWeber all features are unlocked from the get, and you pay one price for all the features.
My experience with AWeber
On logging in, AWeber gave me an old school vibe. Complete with a minimalistic blue-themed color scheme and clear menus, the interface is definitely a good plus for these guys.
While it boasts a huge collection of 700+ templates, I did find some of the templates slightly outdated and not good enough. It’s not a huge deal since the sheer number of templates are enough to keep you occupied for a while, but it’s just something that you should be careful of.
One of AWeber’s standout features is their support. While a lot of the companies in this space have email, live chat and phone support. AWeber goes a step further and gives their phone number upfront on the Contact Us page which you can simply dial and get help from. So no forcing you through Knowledge Bases or Contact Forms. Really cool for the people getting started and having little to no technical skills.
Note: In case you’re wondering, SendX also has a direct phone, email and chat support for all the users. Premier support is one of our core principles and we ensure they are followed day in and out.
Technical Issues: 5/5
Our Recommendation: 4/5
Switch to AWeber if:
- You don’t need very advanced marketing automation capabilities.
- You rely on customer support quite a lot.
- You never want to run out of email templates.
ConvertKit is another awesome marketing automation platform for online creators and bloggers. They’re catering to a very specific market and help them get to where they want to be. This means having powerful automations, and other advanced features specifically designed with the needs of creators in mind. Thanks to recent endorsements by a lot of the biggest bloggers in the marketing industry, we decided to check it out.
How is ConvertKit different than MailChimp?
- Advanced Automation Workflows: ConvertKit has advanced workflows for bloggers which is unmatched by MailChimp. Even though MailChimp has really good design, they surprisingly fall short when it comes to this.
- Focus on Text-Based Email Builds: ConvertKit has a heavy emphasis on enabling businesses to send text-based emails instead of image-heavy ones. They believe that bloggers and online creators have a much higher chance of getting text-based emails read since they are more human. Instead of an image-heavy drag and drop emails in MailChimp which in most cases look like an ad and end up not being read.
- Simpler Tracking: ConvertKit has a simpler tracking compared to MailChimp. ConvertKit has graphs that focus on showing your list growth, and some other high priority metrics about the forms you’ve made. Whereas, MailChimp goes really deep into tracking and gives you a lot of info about your marketing. Depending on what you want to do Email Marketing for, your needs with the tracking reports would differ.
My experience with ConvertKit
Out of all the alternatives covered, ConvertKit is the simplest of them all. Hands down. Crisp clear menus, and minimal clicks needed to create campaigns and sequences. Major props to the ConvertKit team for this one.
And this by means implies that they do not have advanced features. While they might not be the most advanced ones out there, if you’re an online creator who sells information products, you can rest assured that ConvertKit has your needs covered.
Which brings me the fact that they make the Online Creators feel right at home here. With their support greetings, to simple text-based emails this is a product made for online creators and information product businesses right here. Even their Visual Automation Builder is built with the blogger in mind. Extremely speedy and simple to use!
Surprisingly absent were A/B testing capabilities for things like Email Content, Automations etc. You could only test subject lines. Which was a major bummer since I’ve personally seen a lot of creators actually A/B testing their Email Content and funnels. Hopefully they’ll add it soon!
Technical Issues: 4/5
Our Recommendation: 3.5/5
You should use ConvertKit if:
- You’re an online content creator.
- You sell information products.
- You don’t plan to A/B Test Email Content and Automations.
6. Constant Contact
The oldest Email Marketing Software in this list, Constant Contact has been one of the most popular Email Marketing tools for more than 20 years now. Yes, they are older than MailChimp and AWeber.
Constant Contact serves roughly half a million users around the world. But they do not have the MailChimp level fame yet. We got curious about it, and what it does so well that it’s still one of the most popular tools. And hence we decided to give it a go.
How is Constant Contact different than MailChimp?
- Email Templates: The first thing we noticed while creating an Email is the sheer number of ready-to-use templates available for us to make full use of. The designs of templates were far better than MailChimp’s and creating Email was simply a blast with its drag and drop editor.
- Deliverability: Constant Contact offers some of the best deliverability in the industry. So much so, that this is one of the main reasons marketers shift to it. I guess this is where their years of experience comes into play!
- Event Management, Surveys and Social Campaigns: Constant Contact have been serving businesses since 1995. And over time they’ve developed tools that MailChimp doesn’t have. Native Event Management tool, in-built surveys and social campaigns are some niche tools which can be invaluable for quite a few businesses.
My experience with Constant Contact
Another extremely simple dashboard. Gives you everything you need to do in one screen with big buttons telling you what does what. I did find the interface a little dull looking at times, but hey! That’s totally subjective (and the UI is really efficient!)
The Brand Your Email feature is quite interesting. And I can already imagine a lot of marketers already using this for their newsletters. Constant Contact analyzes your websites colors and logos, and creates a template based on that for your newsletter. All set and ready for you to type in your Email content.
A small downside to this is that a lot of templates feel outdated. While it’s understandable since they’ve been doing this for quite a long time, it would be awesome if they updated a few of them!
Technical Issues: 4/5
Our Recommendation: 3.5/5
Give Constant Contact a shot if:
- You’re looking for simplicity.
- You don’t have very advanced automation needs.
- You don’t mind a few outdated templates.
Drip is a major pioneer of personalized marketing emails. They are the world’s first ECRM - eCommerce Customer Relationship Manager, as they aim to help build fully automated marketing campaigns and get eCommerce businesses closer to their customers. With their recent pricing changes and transition from marketing automation to ECRM, we gave it a shot.
How is Drip different than MailChimp?
- Tight Integration with Facebook: Drip has very close integration with Facebook. Allowing users to do things like creating custom audiences based on their activity from right within the app. As well as providing workflows for Facebook Ads and integrating Emails right with it. While MailChimp also has a Facebook integration, it primarily allows people to create ads, setting the budget and tracking.
- Advanced Automation Capabilities: When it comes to automation, hands down nobody can compete with Drip. Drip has an automation for almost every activity that a user can do within the app. Which means you’ll have a very close understanding of your customers and can engage with them at a micro level if needed in just a few clicks. MailChimp does have a fair share of automations within the app, but they are nowhere near as diverse and powerful as Drip’s.
- Visual Builder: We absolutely love Drip’s Visual Workflow Builder. Differentiation of different actions by colors, and clear representation of user journeys make setting up complex campaigns a breeze. MailChimp also has a fairly well made workflow builder, but it can get a little confusing at points. Especially, when making large complex campaigns based on user behavior.
My experience with Drip
When it comes to sheer amount of features, Drip has pretty much got it all. Hands down the most feature-packed MailChimp Alternative in this list. If you can find some Marketing Automation Software that has more than this, make sure to post it in the comments below and I’ll surely check it out!
This comes with a minor downside though. It can be a little complicated for total beginners in Email Marketing. While I do understand that they are catering to E-Commerce Stores only, a few of them moving from MailChimp could get a little confused in the beginning.
But once you’re past that, Drip’s Automation and Workflows are an absolute joy to use. When I said above that they are the best in this, I mean that it’s literally a machine designed to destroy anyone who tries to compete with it in Automation Functionalities!
Technical Issues: 4/5
Our Recommendation: 4.5/5
Switch to Drip if:
- You want the most feature-packed tool in marketing automation.
- You don’t mind paying a little higher price.
- You’re looking for the best visual builder in the industry.
Verdict: Which one should you go with?
Me and my team has been testing different MailChimp Alternatives for almost a week now.
Here’s the final consensus on how they scored:
Campaign Monitor: 3.8/5
Constant Contact: 3.8/5
As you can see, ActiveCampaign and AWeber are a little bit ahead of the others in the game. ConvertKit and Drip come second, while Constant Contact and Campaign Monitor are very close to them.
You should try specific products among these based on your particular business needs. Not all of them will satisfy all of the types of businesses out there. Hence, you should take the feedback by us, and then go ahead with a Free Trial to try it out with your business.
Let us know in the comments if you’d like us to try out any other MailChimp Alternative!
Our goal with SendX is to create an Email Marketing Software that will score higher than our competitors in terms of Simplicity, Technical Issues and Support. We’re aiming for the most easy-to-use tool out there with exceptional customer support. Definitely give it a shot and you’ll surely find something which will make you a more efficient marketer, and will be something that you can rely on for your growth.