How to send mass email in Gmail
Gmail is great. I'm sure every living being on the planet uses Gmail actively on a daily basis for all sorts of communication with their colleagues, friends and family.
But can you use Gmail if you want to send out mass email? Looks like you can!
"Wait, I know individual emails. What the heck is mass email?"
Mass email (or bulk email) is basically sending out emails to a large list of contacts for promoting your product, company updates, making an important announcement, sending newsletters, etc.
I'll walk you through the entire process step-by-step below:
Prerequisites- Gmail account and Google Drive
- Open a new Google Doc and write your email
- Then open a Google Sheet
- Click on Add-ons
4. Then click on Get add-ons
5. Search for Yet Another Mail Merge. Click on the highlighted result.
6. Click install to get it for free
7. Now go back to the spreadsheet and click on Add-ons, just like step 3.
8. Click on Yet Another Mail Merge and then Start Mail Merge.
9. Choose how you want to import your contacts, via Gmail or add email addresses manually.
10. Write the sender’s name and select your email draft, the Google doc you first opened.
11. Click Send X emails, where X will vary depending on the number of emails you have left to send out of the 500 limit. So, if you’ve already sent out 300 emails, you can only send 200 more. Therefore, click on Send 200 emails.
And it’s done!
You’ll agree that the whole process wasn’t smooth. So let’s take a moment and discuss what features and functionalities Gmail is missing, in the next section.
Gmail is awesome if you need to send out individual emails to your contacts. But if you actually want to grow your business through email marketing strategies, you might want to give Gmail a second thought here.
Yes, you wouldn’t have to spend any money on buying an ESP but are you sure about that? Because if you really want your business to take off, you have to think long term. And the ESPs these days are pretty affordable. Take SendX for example here. The pricing starts at $7.49 per month. Ditch coffee for a week, and you can literally buy the monthly subscription.
Anyway, if you still think that Gmail can work for you, keep an eye out for these limitations though:
- Limited number of emails and recipients:
With Gmail you can only send out 500 emails per day. The number of email recipients is also limited to 500.
If you have a large subscriber list, this is going to be a big roadblock for you. You will end up having multiple lists and campaigns might stretch to days.
Sometimes you might have to skip sending an important update or stop your work in the middle, as you will have to wait 24 hours to renew the email limit.
- Deliverability issues:
I’m sure you won’t ever want your emails landing in the spam emails folder of your contacts. And Gmail is not great at this.
If your emails are marked as spam emails, Google will disable your account temporarily.
Also, if your email address ends in @gmail.com, there’s a high probability that your emails won’t land in the inbox because these are designed for personal use.
- Limited design options:
With millions of emails, posts and basically content that people come across everyday, their attention span has become that of a goldfish. So catching the attention of your contacts is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing.
If you rely on Gmail for making your emails catchy, well. You will have to download a lot of Chrome extensions and add-ons if you want to add graphics, colours or extra elements. Good luck with that, bruh!
And let’s agree, a plain-text marketing email will only repel your contacts. Therefore, you need the best tools to create all that fancy stuff.
If you’re like me, you cannot deal with all this pestering. I mean we always aim towards making our task more efficient and easier, not the other way round.
Anyway, if you prioritise your time and energy, you know that you need an ESP. But if you’re still hooked to Gmail, I’ll state 4 reasons why you should invest in an ESP in the next section.
Why do we need an ESP like SendX?
- Unlimited emails:
You read that right! You can send UNLIMITED EMAILS with SendX to as many contacts as you like. Big list, small list, no list.., SendX is right here.
“That will cost a lot, I am sure!”
NO, you don’t have to worry about the cost as SendX’s pricing starts at just $7.49 per month. Just imagine that!
With SendX, you can win your customers’ hearts without burning a hole in your pocket.
- Top-notch deliverability:
So, deliverability is your emails landing in your contact’s inbox and not the spam folder or the promotions tab.
SendX provides a dedicated IP so that email deliverability is not affected even if you have high email volume and also want an exclusive sending reputation.
- Create attractive emails:
If you can make your subscriber read your emails, half of your work is done. Because the number of emails hitting our inbox everyday is overwhelming. And so it becomes more and more important to stand out.
“What do you have for me?”
SendX has a WYSIWYG drag-and-drop email editor, using which you can create beautiful emails, experiment with colours and layouts, and add images from the pre-built library or choose the pre-designed responsive templates and even design you own. Awesome, right?
- Email Reporting and Analytics:
Unlike Gmail, SendX lets you check the statistics of every email marketing campaigns that you have sent, like the click rates, open rates and more advanced metrics.
“Why is it good for me, yo?”
Because the data that you obtain here will help you make better strategies for next campaigns.
Using the advanced metrics, you will also get to know what works best with your audience and what doesn’t.
How to send mass email with SendX
- Register with SendX and create your account. You can also opt for the 14 day free trial.
2. To upload your contact list, click on Import Contacts.
3. Next, click on New Contact
4. You can type the email addresses manually or import your mailing list directly.
Even if you don’t have a big list of contacts yet, get started with the email marketing campaigns in the next step and watch your list grow.
5. Create an email campaign. You can use the WYSIWYG drag-and-drop email editor to create beautiful emails. You can also use the pre-designed templates and add graphics, fancy elements, etc, to make it attractive.
Creating a catchy email is important to grab your reader’s attention.
6. To monitor the campaign stats, click on Campaigns and you will see the names of campaigns you've made in SendX along with their metrics like Status, Scheduled/Sent Date, Sent, Open, Click and Reply.
7. For a more detailed report, click on Action
All the data obtained in step 6 and 7, will help you make your campaigns more effective.
Now it’s up to you to choose the best one for your business.
Anyway, whether you are a B2C company, B2B company or a solo creator looking to ditch Gmail or starting your email marketing journey, SendX is the one for you.
Other than all the features mentioned above, it offers some pretty dope features like A/B Testing, Integrations, Popup banners, Automations, Segmentation and so much more.
And if you’re still unsure, SendX offers a 14-day free trial before you commit. Plus signing up doesn’t require any credit card.
Like I said before, you get access to everything right from day one and can also test their customer support before signing.
Not to forget, SendX has the most affordable paid plan out there.
What’re you waiting for? Go check it out!